Friday, May 7, 2010

New Jack Abroad

I have had the pleasure to know a good childhood friend of mine by the name of Kelvin Jackson. Kelvin is an industry lighting designer (LD). He basically directs and sets up the lights use for concerts. We drove to Atlanta, Georgia recently and he shared candid stories about being on tour with some of the greats of New Jack Swing. If you know anything about New Jack Swing, then you know the name Teddy Riley. If not, then here is a list of people Riley has produced: Michael Jackson, Guy, Blackstreet, Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat and Snoop Dogg to name a few. Kelvin has worked and continues to work for Riley when he goes out on the road with his acts Guy or Blackstreet. Kelvin told me about his recent tour with Riley in Japan. His explain how amazing it was and how receptive the people were to the artists and music. There were people there that could not speak English, but knew the lyrics to some of Riley's biggest hits. This gave me a greater understanding on how music can touch people's lives and emotions. This music made famous over 20 years ago is now blazing a trail abroad. I had no idea that Japan would like the funk, soul and a twist of hip hop that New Jack represents. I told Kelvin that I already have my passport and I am ready to be a roadie for the next show. Yes, I may have said it in tongue in cheek, but I would not hesitate to go if ask to join. New Jack is definitely abroad, alive and kicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment